Membership of FICPI is open to all IP attorneys in private practice in the UK who meet the conditions for membership and is generally only available through FICPI-UK. Membership of FICPI-UK leads automatically to membership of FICPI. If desired, members will be listed in the FICPI Member Directory. If you practise outside the UK, click here to find out how to join FICPI in your country or region.
The current membership fee is £280 per year, which includes the subscription to FICPI.
For the purposes of FICPI membership, an “IP attorney” is generally regarded as a practitioner specialised in Intellectual Property matters, having the right to represent an applicant before the UK Intellectual Property Office.
“Intellectual Property” includes the matters referred to in Article 4 of the Paris Convention, but excludes “pure” copyright.
Normally, FICPI-UK requires an applicant to be a registered patent attorney or a registered trade mark attorney.
“Private practice” is regarded as rendering of services in an independent manner, either individually or through a firm with which the practitioner is associated, exclusively to the general public, for advising, assisting, or representing clients with a view to obtaining, maintaining, exploiting or defending IP rights. In determining the independence of the practitioner in a firm, the professional structure of the firm shall be considered before its financial control. For greater certainty, a private practice shall be a firm that is free to accept or not a professional retainer, subject to the normal ethical standards of the profession.
An applicant must also be of good repute.
For information about the benefits of membership please visit the About page.
- To begin the application process, please complete the online Application Form below.
- After clicking “submit”, your completed Application Form will be forwarded to the Secretary.
- FICPI-UK Council will consider your application and might make some enquires about your application in case anything is unclear and if we need more information.
- The Secretary will contact you as soon as possible to let you know the outcome of your application.
- If you are successful, the Secretary will send your personal details to FICPI (your consent will be needed for this) who will assign you a membership number. The Secretary will notify you of your membership number and invite you to pay your first subscription online (a link will be provided). (You will need your application number for this.) Upon receipt of payment, your membership will be confirmed.
- Please note that FICPI-UK is not obliged to inform an unsuccessful applicant why their application was rejected.
If you have any questions about the Application Form or the application process in general, or if you need any assistance, please contact the Secretary.